INTERNATIONAL KODÁLY SOCIETY
SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION for 2018
- The International Kodály Society offers a number of fee waiver scholarships, (alongside the Sarolta Kodály Scholarship I, designated for a “one year Academic study” at the Zoltán Kodály Pedagogical Institute in Kecskemét, Hungary).
- These scholarships are intended for IKS members to participate in high quality training Kodály courses organized in the year 2018.
- The maximum amount per Scholarship is 1,000 $ US.
- As said above, the Scholarship will only cover the costs of tuition. All other expenses are to be borne by the recipient.
- The specific course of study is selected by the applicant, and may be an international Kodály course (e.g. the «International Kodály Seminar» in Kecskemét, Hungary), or a program offered in any other location, or within the applicant’s own country/locale.
- The Scholarships are not transferable, neither to another person, nor to another course.
- There is no age restriction for application.
- Applications need to be submitted to the Office of the IKS no later than October 1st 2017.
- All applicants will be notified on the outcome of their application the latest by the end of October 2017.
When applying for a scholarship, applicants will need to:
- have chosen the course that they want to attend, being aware that the IKS Scholarship is only covering the tuition costs and that they have to be able to meet themselves the costs of traveling, lodging and possible other expenses.
- fill in the Application Form and send it back as attachment of e-mail to office [at] iks [dot] hu not later than October 1st 2017.
The following criteria will be important in the selection procedure:
- musicianship level
- personal statement
- perceived benefits of participation in the chosen course
To ensure due diligence, the Board of the IKS reserves the right to ask for additional information about the course, the applicant and/or to organize a personal interview.
It is also important to understand that it concerns a competition. It means that even applications with high marks may not be winners because of other applications with higher marks.
- be financial members of the International Kodály Society prior to submitting the application, or, if becoming a new member at the time of the application, pay a membership fee for 2 years. (60 $ US for individual membership/36 $ US for student membership)
- be recommended by a qualified person who is currently teaching or working closely with the applicant and who is in a position to document the Board of the IKS about the applicant’s suitability for receiving an IKS Scholarship
- attach a photograph to the application
- submit their application to the International Kodály Society, not later than October 1st 2017
If the application is successful, the IKS will inform both the applicant and the responsible organizer of the chosen course and confirm that the tuition fee for Mrs./Ms./Mr. X will be paid by the IKS. The payment will be effected in due time before the beginning of the course.
Scholarship recipients will write a one page report after completing the course for which the scholarship was received.
Steps of the Application Procedure
- make sure that your membership status of the IKS is in good standing
- identify a Kodály course relevant to your interest/need/expertise
- download and fill in the application form
- send it to the IKS office together with your photo by e-mail, not later than October 1st 2017 and make sure that your (downloaded and filled in) recommendation also reaches the office by that time